Monday, October 8, 2007

My Time

I have a really nice husband. He's always asking me (on Friday night): what do you want to do this weekend? I usually just say I don't know - I'm not that picky. I know we'll probably end up going somewhere to eat supper - Bear City Diner in Bearden if we don't want to go too far, El Palacio in Warren for Mexican, or sometimes to Little Rock to go to Sam's and/or the mall. This past Friday, I got the same question, and I told him that what I want to do and what I'll actually do are probably different things. He asked me, "Well, what do you really want to do?" I told him I'd really like to go to Little Rock BY MYSELF (well, my sister would be allowed to join me) and shop for some clothes. I have recently cleaned out my closet, with the help of MissusSmartyPants, and even though I have some clothes left, there are some big gaps. I'm also not much of a shopper (I hate all the trying on, etc.), but am now armed with a list of basic items I can mix and match, the knowledge of what colors look better on me, and have an idea of what kind of clothes look right for my body type.
I was very surprised when John offered to take the kids to the movie or something so I could go! My sister unfortunately couldn't join me, but I went anyway. I could've waited a week, but didn't want to lose this opportunity (or give John time to change his mind!). :-)
I got to the first mall Saturday at 4:20, and left the last mall around 8:35. I got some things at J. C. Penney, ate at Pei Wei (my new favorite restaurant), and shopped at a store called J. Jill. Those sales ladies in there must work on commission - they were so helpful! But, I was buying basics that I plan to wear for a long time, and only bought a few things that I really liked (like that great microsuede washable skirt!). Then I went to the other mall and got a necklace and earrings at Claire's to match a couple of things I had bought earlier.
It was so nice to get out and do that. I love my kids, but I can't shop for myself when they're with me, which is most of the time. Thanks, John, for that little trip! Thanks, MSP, for the great clothes tips! Shopping is much more fun when you know what to look for.
I hope this post doesn't come across as me sounding selfish. I was going to have a garage sale, but decided to just give away all those clothes after reading some blogs from Patrick Mead and Keith Brenton. Their blogs are good, deep reading, unlike mine!
Now if Ethan would just remember to go to the potty . . .

2 comments:

corncobb said...

I wish I could have gone with you! But I helped Mom some - 2 shirts from JCP, and 2 outfits from the Colony Shop. Sounds like you are doing good - and I know you appreciate your sweet hubby for that time out.
Love ya,
Katie

Lara said...

Good for you on giving the clothes away instead of selling them. Though, either way you are probably helping people out. Giving them away blesses people and saves you a Saturday.

Way to shop smart, too!