Thursday, May 10, 2007

Updated garden pictures



I tried to post several days ago - I just didn't get to finish it and decided not to save it. T-ball started this week, and it's been hectic. Emily has her THIRD game tonight for the week. Luckily most weeks she just has two.
I just took some pictures of my garden. It's doing well, but stuff seems to grow so slowly! I'm ready to eat some cucumbers and salad. We planted some flowers on the front row (in the second picture), but they are so slow, I may replant 3 of those squares with something else. Note to self: violas are pretty, but slow growers - buy transplants next time! I also fertilized with Miracle-Gro today. I think my compost wasn't nutritious and varied enough.
Mom was here for a couple of days last week. It was great having her here. Emily was sick Thursday and Friday with a UTI. Luckily I was able to get her in to see a doctor Thursday morning and get her on antibiotics. Her fever was high for a couple of days.




Here is a picture of Emily's first hit in her first t-ball game Monday. Yippee! She likes the batting and running part, but thinks the outfield is really boring. She scored 2 runs in Tuesday's game. I wish she had inherited more of her grandparents' athletic ability than her parents. John and I weren't and aren't exactly athletically inclined, at least at team sports.

I'm looking forward to our online Bible study on the topic of women and their roles in life and church. If you want more info and might want to join us, click on Lara's link over there to the right. The book we're using, Paul, Women, and Wives is NOT an easy read. It's one of those you have to read slowly and think about rather than just skimming through.
Speaking of Bible study, on a different topic, I picked up a copy of "The Spiritual Sword" at church last night. It's title is "Wolves in Sheep's Clothing", and it discusses a capella versus instrumental worship in church. It's primary target is the Richland Hills church and minister Rick Atchley. I had already listened to Rick Atchley's 3 lessons on this a few weeks ago, when I heard Richland Hills was adding a Saturday instrumental service. I can see why we traditionally haven't had instruments, and I actually prefer a capella, but don't the "instrumental people" sing, too? I mean, if we are singing and worshipping from our hearts, does it really matter if there are instruments present or not? When we visit John's grandparents, we worship with them at a Christian church. A man in our congregation here has said before that he would never consider visiting at a Christian church or any other on a Sunday, since their worship is not acceptable to God. I thought that was a little harsh. I think both sides have good points and will have to study more on my own. But it won't be until later, after the Paul, Women, and Wives study.
Some of the more "traditional church of Christ" people say they want to restore New Testament church and structure everything like the NT church did, but we really don't. It seems to me that we do several things differently than they did, like the Lord's Supper (shared meal/crackers and juice) and singing (congregational and/or solos, groups?), for example. As far as everyday life, didn't at least one of the churches mentioned sell all their possessions and share as anyone had need? I've never heard of any modern church doing anything close to that. Okay, I'm in over my head right now. I better quit! I will say I think God left enough room for different cultures and times to have their own style and still be acceptable to him.

On a different topic, I've been subjecting my family to "chipotle peppers in adobo sauce"-themed meals this week. You only use 1 or 2 peppers per recipe, and you have a whole can to use!! I just love the smoky flavor those impart to whatever you put them in. However, they do put out a slow but fiery heat that's hard for little kids and John to tolerate for very long. I'm giving them a break tonight and just making hamburgers. I also get to work in the concession stand at the ball park tonight from 7:30-9:30.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura! I am impressed with your study you are planning on doing! At some point in my life I would like to really study things like that in the Bible. It has been so long since I have really done that...at this time I am just not ready. I feel like some of those "things" (articles) are so sad. I was not aware that those things existed until Andrew mentioned one in college that someone had "written up" his dad or something. Sad, sad, sad! Way to go with your garden...and the chipotle peppers...I totally think you are channeling Rachel Ray! :) I hope you have a great day! Sorry to hear about your grandmother!

Rachel said...

Your garden looks like it is coming along great! I know it takes time for those silly vegetables to grow but they will taste even better when they arrive and are ready to pick! I love homegrown tomatoes!

I agree with Amy--you go Rachel Ray!