Here I want to share some memories I have of my mom when I was growing up. Back when I was around 3 years old, I remember sitting in my neighbor's living room watching TV and hearing her concerned voice asking for me. I had been napping with her and woke up early, and decided to go over to my friend's house to watch "Land of the Lost." I'm sure I got a good spanking for that one. I remember her making us oatmeal for breakfast when I was in elementary school. While it was cooking on the stove, she would set out our bowls and put a pat of butter in each one. You'd be surprised at how much better oatmeal is with a little butter in it! Sometimes she would come get me during school so I could eat lunch at home (we lived right across the street). When I was in first grade, there was a tornado warning, and we all had to scrunch down in the hallway at school. I remember crying because I was scared, and then feeling very relieved when she came to get me. I remember crying when she spanked me (when I was old enough to remember it), not because it actually hurt, but because I didn't like to get a spanking. ;-) That smile's for you, Mom. There are so many things I remember, but most of the memories I have are of her taking care of other people and setting such a good example for my sister and me. No matter where we lived, she was always taking care of our neighbors, usually older people. She always spent time visiting with them, taking them food, etc. She also took us to the nursing home a lot to visit people there. My dad's parents lived in the same town, so she helped take care of them, too, plus her parents, who lived an hour away. She also helped my dad do Bible Hour on Sunday nights for years. She took great care of my dad when he got sick and stayed right by his side through all the chemo and radiation. He had tumors on his skin that she cleaned and bandaged several times a day. She is so strong that she seems to be like a rock, but I know that it's not all her - her strength comes from her Father. She is an inspiration to all those around her, and her faith shines through in all that she does. She's not perfect, of course, but she has been and is a wonderful mother, and I love her. Happy Mother's Day, Mom. This post is for you.
I'm including a picture of Mom with Ethan taken earlier this month.
2 comments:
Great post Lizzie. It's funny though - how we remember different things! I don't remember the oatmeal thing. I remember eating oatmeal with a pat of butter in it, but not that Mom put the butter in the bowl before the oatmeal!! I remember most other things though and would add: picnics at lunch, naps, wearing an apron in the kitchen, reading reading reading. Thanks for the post.
Well, after I posted this, I kept thinking of things I should've put in. I have so many good memories, and we're still making them!
Post a Comment