My dad was a deep thinker and also a people watcher. He made some remarkably accurate observations about people from time to time. I know it's dangerous to make assumptions about what people are thinking or what their motives are, but I can't remember anything he said that was meant to be taken in a mean way at all. I still miss him very much. He died from cancer 8 years ago Monday. That is also Ethan's birthday. He was born 5 weeks early 3 years ago, and my personal opinion is that God sent him on that particular day so we (especially my Mom) would have something to cheer us, something to celebrate (beside the fact that we will see Dad someday in a much better place). He would have been so crazy about his grandkids. I wish he could've been around for them. He wasn't perfect, but he was such a Godly man and respectable and honest. The thing I miss most is just talking to him. He was always asking us to "just talk to me", and always took the time to listen. He must've been uncomfortable at times on several subjects we discussed, but he never seemed that way. He was the kind of person who would say what needed to be said when no one else had the courage to say it, even when he knew he would not be voted Mr. Popular. I can only hope that when I die, my children will have that kind of respect and appreciation for me. I'm thankful that he was with us as long as he was.
Whew! That was draining. I haven't talked about Dad much here lately, and I wish I could express in words what he meant to me. It's just impossible. Wow. I really got off on a tangent, didn't I? I'm thankful for the grandparents my kids DO have around.
Ethan will have a "Lightning McQueen" party tomorrow. I have the frosting out to soften (I made it Wednesday and put it in the frig), and the cake is made. We're not having a little kids party - just a "grown-ups who love you" party. I am taking cupcakes to his preschool Tuesday, though.
I will have to cover my little plants and sprouts tonight. It's supposed to be 30 degrees! My beans are starting to come up. Here is a picture I took at the zoo last week. I thought it was pretty good (look at those azaleas!!!!), even though Ethan wouldn't look at the camera.
I just realized I used the word "Wow" twice. Oh well. Keep up the good work, most excellent bloggers, even though none of you read mine, I'm sure. Thanks for inspiring us wanna-bes. :-)
2 comments:
Hey, girlie! I'm reading it!
Have you read all the Hidden People posts on PM's blog? I have found that series SOOOO interesting. For some reason I want to be part Melungeon. It sounds so exotic. :)
Talking about your Dad was not a tangent. I hate that we're in the "departed dads" club. That's not a community I thought I'd join until I was so much older. But I'm glad there are people like you with whom I can share my sadness at not having my dad around anymore.
Love you! Have a great Easter weekend.
Lara
I am really enjoying the Hidden People series, and also Tribes. In fact I got so inspired about geneology that I almost registered for the free trial at Ancestry.com. :-) My grandma's maiden name was Scott, and I know where she was born, but Logan County has no online records. :-(
You're right about the "departed dads" club! I wish my kids could've known him. Last year mom did memory books for all of us (Katie, Emily, Ethan, and me) about Dad's life, infant through death. It was done on the computer, and I hadn't even seen some of the pictures she used! She began it with a newspaper clipping about HIS dad's accident and death the month he was born. Of course that is something I will always treasure, because it's about him and she worked so hard on it!
Lara, did you know that Donna's dad and my dad died not very far apart, and my dad was at M.D. Anderson around the same time her dad was?
Post a Comment