Monday, April 9, 2007

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful boy


Three years ago tonight I was starting to feel "crampy." I was 35 weeks pregnant with a little boy, who was born about three hours later, to my surprise. He was 3 lbs. 12 oz. and 18 inches long. See my previous post about April 9, 1998, which my sister pointed out was almost 9 years ago, not eight as I said. Yes, I did actually major in math. I don't know how to turn that picture the right way, though.
Ethan Matthew is so named because we liked the name Ethan, and his sister gave him Matthew. Flash back to when I was still pregnant. Emily was 2, about to become 3, and kept referring to my growing belly as "Matthew." We were eating lunch at Popeye's after church one day when I decided to ask her why, and she gave me this look like, "Well, duh, Mom." She said, and I quote, "Matthew 5:44, love your enemies." We are still laughing about that one.
Ethan is such a joy, even though I end up wanting to wring his neck at some point most days. He is so sweet and funny. When he laughs, it's from the belly, like he means it. I told my mom recently that he is so stubborn and just can't give up when he wants something he can't have. She just laughed and told me that I'm paying for my raising. Now why would she say that? :-) heh heh
He still can't pronounce Ss or blends, like ch or sh. It would've bothered me if Emily had had that trouble. With him I think it's cute and figure he'll get it eventually. I'm his mother, and I still can't understand everything he says. His favorite things to do are watch "Car" (no Ss, remember?), play outtide, pway (play) in "Emiwee" room, and most of all, open and "cwo" the "gawa" (garage) door.
He had fun at his party. We had my mom, her friend, and our preacher's family over to celebrate Saturday. I just didn't think it necessary to have a bunch of kids over. I will take cupcakes to his preschool, though! Here are some pictures. Isn't he beautiful? God has blessed me with two beautiful, healthy children. I take them for granted sometimes, but I am so thankful for them!


Note: After two years of refusing to eat his birthday cake, he finally ate it! Well, at least he ate the frosting. I also never listen to the Beatles, but that song somehow popped into my head. Or is that somebody else?
Update: I ended up buying cookies at the bakery for his preschool class. Is that bad? ;-) All they do with cupcakes is eat the frosting off anyway.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I can't believe he is three already! Wow! Glad he had a good birthday. I think we all at some point during the day desire to wring our children's necks. Even though they can be so precious, they can also be so trying. It is how we learn and grow in our parenting. Happy Birthday Ethan!