Monday, February 12, 2007

Good Weekend

We had a good weekend. It started out with me weighing in and finding I've lost 11 pounds so far. I tried on a pair of pants that I haven't worn in about 8 to 10 years (that's not an exaggeration). I could not only get the zipper up, I could wear them (if they weren't too short and outdated)!!!!! Part of me just can't believe I spent the last 10 years or so 20 pounds heavier than I needed to be. Well, part of that time I was pregnant, but still, Emily's only about to turn 6. I'm still around 8 pounds from my goal, but I'm so pumped from my "check-up." I've lost an inch in my waist and an inch and a half from my hips.
The thing that's helped me the MOST is keeping up with what I eat and knowing I have to write it down. I love to eat, and I'm a big snacker. I've been learning to enjoy the foods I like, but in smaller portions, and some of them not as often (though it's hard to stay away from the bakery). I've been using healthylivingonline.com (it's FREE). It has a lot of tools on it, but the one I use the most is the nutrition journal. It has a lot of foods already on it, but you can add your own. It will even analyze your recipes if you want to enter them. I use the meal plan only occasionally when I want to try something different. I haven't been this small in at least 8 years!!!
Now as to how hard it is, it's been easier than I thought, but it's been a decision I've had to make over and over every day, not just once. I have splurged a few times, but usually always planned around it so it would have minimal impact. I've also walked 3 times a week, most weeks. Last week I didn't exercise at all, even though I could have (Emily was sick). I'm getting back on track this week! Okay, enough about that, but it is so encouraging to actually be making progress!
We went to Searcy Saturday, stopping in Little Rock for an early supper at Whole Hog on Cantrell (I highly recommend!). Todd, Angie, Seth, and Charlie went with us. We got to Searcy and showed them around Harding for a while, and then went to the ball game. We saw the last half of the women's game and all of the men's. They were great games, especially since they both won. Todd and family drove home after the game, and we stayed with Katie. We had left Emily with Katie during the game, since she was still recovering and needed to get some rest.
Sunday we went to church and ate at Los Montano's (big splurge - oops). We let Ethan take a nap, and then started home. We stopped in Cabot to see some old friends and former neighbors who just built a house. Then we finally bought a printer at Staples in LR and ate supper. We stopped at Kroger on the way out so I could get my asiago cheese, and then came home.
I miss Searcy, but I'm enjoying this town. The only drawback has been Emily and school. It's just another culture down here, and she's had to adjust more than any of us. She's only been around "church kids" who know how to behave, and there aren't as many of those in her class as there would be at Harding Academy. I'm trying to decide if that's a good thing or not. When we do end up moving and she goes to a (hopefully) better school, then maybe she'll appreciate it more. At least that's what I tell myself. She likes her teacher, recess, and reading, and that's about it. I hope it's better next year.
Well, enough rambling. I better go and get some cleaning and laundry accomplished today!
One other thing - Katie told me that Emily really looks like John in the picture of them in the previous post. She does look a lot like him, but no one ever sees that because they can't get past her eyes.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Way to go Laura!!! I'm so proud of you in your weight loss!!! I too have lost 12-13 pounds in two months. I am so excited! Isn't it amazing how much better you feel when you don't have that extra weight weighing you down?!?!