Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I'll miss Michigan!


We spent last week with my in-laws in Michigan. The weather was great, except for rain on a day or two. One day the high was 65! Most of the time it was beautifully sunny and mildly warm. Here is a picture of Emily on the carousel at the mall. My mother-in-law keeps our frequent riders card for us. They added a second story since we were there at Christmas.
John and I actually got out a couple of times on our own, which was nice. We went out to eat Monday night with some friends from church and got a tour of the hospital, which was beautiful (yes, the hospital!). It had a garden inside it, and didn't smell like a hospital at all. They have a prestigious award prominently displayed, but I didn't get a picture of it.


Here is a picture of Emily with her cousin, Lee, at a friend's pool. The water temp was 60, so there wasn't a whole lot of swimming going on! They all had chill bumps and chattering teeth.






On Thursday we went to Lake Michigan and visited some friends staying in a cabin close by. It would've been the perfect day for it, except for the gale force winds. We sat close down by the water to try and avoid the sand stinging our legs. Ethan spent two minutes walking along the water, and spent the rest of the time huddled in a towel. Emily said the lake was warmer than the pool was!


Here is a picture of Kathy holding Ethan. Notice how the wind is blowing his hair! Kathy brought a small cooler with some drinks and fresh cherries in it. There aren't many things better than a fresh sweet cherry. I wonder if I can find any good ones around here. John didn't pack Ethan's swim trunks, so he just wore his "Ariel" swim diaper. I needn't have worried, though. We were the ONLY ones there (see below)!



Here are some other random things we got to do while there: go out for ice cream riding in an RV (Thanks David and Marci - I'm trying to convert John into a camper), see the 3rd 3-hour Pirates of the Caribbean movie (My advice: wait until it comes out on video if you want to see it at all), walk on the Kal-Haven trail, play Monopoly (I won!!!) and cards (I won 1 game), worship with the Plainwell church, and eat my mother-in-law's Spanish rice and other yummy cooking. We spent Friday night in Fort Wayne with my sister-in-law before driving home Saturday. We went out for our last Mexican food fix with them and got to see their new church building (still being built). They have been meeting in a school building.

I enjoyed the Pirates movie, but there were several spots where it seemed to be ending, but didn't. And then when it did finally end, they implied yet another sequel. Please don't. Neither one of the last two was as good as the first one.

Lara, I have read chapter two of the Keener book, but need to look over it again before commenting. I think I'm about halfway through chapter three.

I just found out that there is a limit on how many pictures you can put in one post. :-( I'll do my garden update later. It grew a lot while we were gone! I picked green beans Sunday morning, and we ate them for lunch. YUM

2 comments:

corncobb said...

Hey Sis-
Good blog! I enjoyed reading about your trip. Sounds like it was loads of fun. Thanks for the pix of Monica's house - sure looks nice and the yard is awesome. I had already seen the Pirates movie too - and I share your opinion! It was so long. I'm glad you did well with the games - I'm still the worst dominoes player - my score was hideously high and I even went out the last round!!

Rachel said...

Glad you had a good trip. Sounds like you got to do lots of fun things.

We haven't seen the Pirates movie yet and I don't know if we will get to or not while at the theater. I however feel like you did. They are not my favorite movies, but I will go sit through them and enjoy a date with my husband. I could definitely do without any more of them as well!